Welcome to the thermal drone fleet!
Skyris’ clients can require the most robust capabilities and that’s why we have recently added the DJI M-200 to our fleet. It is the only platform to carry the new DJI Zenmuse XT2 powered by FLIR. This is also the most capable drone we’ve found for operating in wind and rain. This was key in our decision to add it to the Skyris thermal drone fleet.
Key advantages of the DJI M-200:
- Weather Resistant – Deployable in rainy, windy conditions (IP44)
- Flexible Payloads:
- x5s with interchangeable M4/3 lenses – For Film and Beauty
- x4s with fixed lens – For Mapping and Inspection
- XT2 with fixed lens – Thermal and Visible Sensors
- Flight Duration: ~ 38 Minutes Max
- Sturdy Build, Relatively Compact Case
Key advantages of the DJI XT2:
- FLIR MSX Technology
- Visible and Thermal Spectrum Sensors
- FLIR 640 x 512 Radiometric -Records thermal data for every pixel
- 30 HZ (Export Restricted)
- Thermal Range Max: -40° to 550℃
Types of Thermal Drone Missions
Not every thermal drone mission is the same. Sometimes we want to know relative data and sometimes we need quantitative data. Most instances of first responder uses require relative information. For instance, a firefighter may need to locate hot spots with the drone, while a search and rescue crew is using the thermal drone to look for a missing person. We may tune the thermal range of the camera or modify the color palette while in the air to find what it is we’re looking for. Having a pilot with thermography training from someone such as Infrared Training Center or someone comparable is highly recommended for best results.
In other cases, such as critical infrastructure inspection, we may need the ability to analyze the thermal information in detail back at the office. For this we would record radiometric data allowing us much more flexibility in reporting. With radiometric data we can change the sensing range and color palette in the FLIR Tools PC Program. Thermal values can also be accessed for each pixel and environmental variables can be adjusted to achieve the best results.